HacinTosh - Ryzen 5950X - MSI Meg Unify X570 + AMD GPU (?)

• Yeah, still trying to decide, what Custom Design I gonna pick, if I just pick a XFX or so. Since XFX is quite cheap. Sadly I missed the Asus Cashback, otherwise I could have grabbed a 6900XT for 500 $

Edit: I found an AMD OS X Forum and they had a bunch of ACSI Files + USBMap.kext.

That actually made my Bluetooth to work and it now even shows Power Management as checked. The Forum told, the X570 ACSI's are a general thing, since all Boards work the same. So I guess, I even min/maxed my MacOS now-

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Enaske ()

• Enaske check what I was saying here about SSDT and Bluetooth )(BT)

Usually is not advisable to use a kext for USB mapping not properly built for owned motherboard

But, if all USB ports are working well with usbe2/3 devices you were been lucky to find a perfect USB kext compatible with your motherboard!

• fabiosun

from what I read there is, that the mapping is exactly the same across all boards, that is why I was able to use it.

• Enaske i do not think so but I am happy if it works for you

Few experiences in this field because usually Amd systems has not the need to map usb port like intel motherboards need

• haha, trust me, I am happy as well, it runs that flawless.

Do you got an Idea, how long new GPU usually take to be supported? I think about waiting for the 7800 XT since its around the Corner.

• Maybe it doesn’t, maybe it does. Nobody knows that, Big Navi was also unsure an risky.

It took morgen than 6 Months i remember…

Take the 6xxx and you’re good to go.

Apple keeps going it’s own way. They’ve got no need to support 3rd party soon.

• In general, Apple only supports GPUs they use and sell themselves. They added RDNA2 options to the Mac Pro as AMD stopped production of Vega.

With the Intel MacPro getting replaced with an Apple Silicon one, there is a huge question mark if Apple will set up a new line of GPUs for the old Intel Mac Pro.

• Apple Mac Studio | M1 Ultra | 64GB RAM | 1TB
    • PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming | 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Corsair MP600 M.2 NVMe | Radeon RX 6900 XT | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift | Custom Loop | MacOS 12 | OpenCore
      Ryzen MacPro | EFI | RadeonSensor | Aureal
  • Enaske with the limitation you have with your MSI board (limited in new os you can install for now)

I would buy a 6900xt

and this for the reasons said above by Kaneske and Aluveitie

• Just ordered a XFX 6900 XT MERC. Finger crossed.

Edit: In case I want to try Monterey, can I update mine, or do I have to whipe everything?

Loosing NVMe and Wifi is prob. Not an issue at all, since I not use Wifi nor do I need the NVMe SSD, since they are NTFS and Mac cannot write them?

So technically I would only lose features, I don't need anyway.

PS: There is even a fix for that Issue, but that requires to Install/Flash a bios during install, so not pretty useful.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Enaske ()

• Monterey will just crash trying to boot on MSI, I don't know what steps you exactly need to do to work around that.

• Apple Mac Studio | M1 Ultra | 64GB RAM | 1TB
    • PowerMac G5 | Dual 2GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL
    • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming | 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Corsair MP600 M.2 NVMe | Radeon RX 6900 XT | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift | Custom Loop | MacOS 12 | OpenCore
      Ryzen MacPro | EFI | RadeonSensor | Aureal
  • Maybe you misunderstood something’s I have said Enaske

Only chance you have is to have a nvme disk on cpu m2 maintained slot and all other devices disconnected(sata disk)

But only few people have had success with new 5xxx cpu motherboard bios compatible

You can try to update your installed Big Sur

99% it will be an unsucesfull try

Here a link of an Italian forum where we have had a bit of success with a newer MSI X570 motherboard

Link:

https://www.macos86.it/topic/5…apphire-radeon-rx-6600xt/

about gpu

Great catch👍

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von fabiosun ()

• Hey fabiosun

I got it now, so only way to run it, with just exactly 1 HDD in place, which is running in the CPU maintained NVMe Slot.

Maybe it's time for a new Motherboard as well :D /joke.

I just head Monterey got a huge performance boost, compared to Big Sur, that's pretty much the only reason I was interested in upgrading.

• Not true

Monterey Big Sur Ventura are pretty similar in performances

But

If you like OS X a different motherboard should be mandatory for a full and good OSX experience

• Hey!

my 6900 XT has arrived and got installed. I remember you told something to remove a Boot flag, now that I got the GPU?

What else is needed now? Some GPU Kexts?

• You could eliminate whatevergreen kext if you use it

Or use it adding agpdmod=pikera as bootarg

• Edit:

After a few Reboots, it seems it fixed itself. I can now run it fine.

All is left, to copy the boot files to my System, so I can get rid of the USB Stick.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Enaske ()