Flashed Ozmosis: Boots into BIOS ok - Windows does not boot

• Hi there,

I've been reading this forum through google translate. Sorry I'm from Ireland and have no German :(

I have been reading loads about Ozmosis - its sounds like an amazing tool!

So I wanted to flash my BIOS (GA-Z77N-WIFI) for Windows 10 & El Capitan to dual boot. I already have booth dual booting with F2 Bios of my motherboard.

I downloaded the Ozmosis rom with HighSierra Support from this forum (Mod für das Z77N-Wifi)

I extracted the Rom to the usb and flashed the bios.

When the computer restarts I loaded ‘Optimised defaults’.

Then I tried to boot into Windows OR OSX and nothing happens. I created a vanilla OSX installer USB (with No clover) but even this will not boot.

All I see is a black box or something similar. See the image attached!

I tried to boot into a Windows Rescue USB and I just got a grey box on the screen - nothing else.

I can boot into BIOS but nothing else?

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help everyone - sorry for my lack of German.

• As long as you don't plan to upgrade to HighSierra use this ROM instead: Mod für das Z77N-Wifi. The HighSierra ready ROM Images include the APFS driver which needs a lot of space in the Image. In order to fit all the necessary stuff in there some other components have left out. In This case it seems like the Theme is missing. OZ tries to initialize the UI and fails because of missing theme.

• As long as you don't plan to upgrade to HighSierra use this ROM instead: Mod für das Z77N-Wifi. The HighSierra ready ROM Images include the APFS driver which needs a lot of space in the Image. In order to fit all the necessary stuff in there some other components have left out. In This case it seems like the Theme is missing. OZ tries to initialize the UI and fails because of missing theme.

Wow thanks for your reply Griven.

Can I ask questions:

1 - I want to use high Sierra. Does this mean I cannot use high Sierra?

2 - Is there a way I can upgrade to High Sierra with the Sierra ROM? If I don't change the hard drive to APFS format? Can I keep the same hard rive format as Sierra?

3 - Finally is there a way I can load the APFS driver outside of this rom?

Thank you

• Well since OZ does not play well with APFS I would always prefer to stay with HFS+ for the time being.

1. @Brumbaer wrote a little extension (kext) called UnSolid.kext.zip which could be placed into /EFI/OZ/Darwin/Extensions/Common. Unsolid.kext will suppress the APFS Conversion which HighSierra automatically performs on SSD Media. So yes of course you can install HighSierra and stay on HFS+ as well at least there is no need to use APFS or even place the APFS driver anywhere if you not intend to use APFS (besides on a hackintosh Maschine APFS has no real benefit).

2. No you can't use any Sierra Ready ROM to install HighSierra since Apple changed some stuff in the prelinked Kernel which broke the Kext Injection but fortunately @cecekpawon patched OZ to solve this issue. Also you need to adjust some SMBIOS values as well since Apple pushed out quite a lot Firmware Updates alongside to HighSierra and actively checks if this updates have been applied before HighSierra will install. If your SMBIOS is not up to date you'll end up in an error stating that "MacOS can not be installed on this Mac".

3. Look at 1 if you go with unsolid.kext there is no need for APFS :D

I attached a HighSierra enabled Version of the Z77N-WIFI rom without APFS build in but with all the other Stuff needed to make HighSierra work. Please give it a try (remember place unsolid.kext into /EFI/OZ/Darwin/Extensions/Common before you install or upgrade to HighSierra).

Dateien

• Hi Griven,

Thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I STILL ave not been able to install High Sierra.

Here is what I did;

• Downloaded your BIOS ROM attached above.
    • Flashed my Z77N-WIFI with ROM with success
    • Went into BIOS and Set IO Serial Port to disabled
    • Booted into El Capitan to see if all was working - everything was fine
    • In El Capitan - I added Unsolid.Kext to the EFI folder on my bootable USB (This is a Unibeast USB with Clover - is this ok????)
    • booted into the USB and proceeded to install High Sierra
    • Installation rebooted

After the second reboot, I got the same annoying Error message I always get - "macOS could not be installed on your computer"

I'm tearing my hair out! I dont understand why this is happening! ||

some questions;

• You say to add unsolid.kect to the EFI - where is this EFI? is this vanilla install OR clover install?
    • You tell me "you need to adjust some SMBIOS values" where do I do this??? I adjusted these values in Clover Configurator and tried that but still its not working!!!

Any help would be great.
    Thank you!

• Wait a second...
    do you use a Defaults.plist containing the SMBIOS-Infos?
    Does that contain all the necessary entries and newest ROM-data which have to used for High Sierra?

Gruß
    Al6042

Keine Unterstützung per PN oder Pinnwand... Eure Anfragen gehören ins Forum, nicht in mein Postfach!

• Zitat

do you use a Defaults.plist containing the SMBIOS-Infos?Does that contain all the necessary entries and newest ROM-data which have to used for High Sierra?

I built a USB with Unibeast tool from another site and then opened the config.plist with Clover Configurator and set a SMBios with Clover. I can semd a screenshot if you need.

BUT - surealy Ozmosis doesnt need a clover config??

• You should use a defaults.plist anyways...
    A screenshot won't help.
    It would also be great if you could enter your hardware details either in your signature or your profile, in the section "About me"...

Gruß
    Al6042

Keine Unterstützung per PN oder Pinnwand... Eure Anfragen gehören ins Forum, nicht in mein Postfach!

• But OZ uses it's own config file called Defaults.plist.

A sample config is build into any OZ Rom but it's at least only a sample. OZ needs to be configured and customised as well as clover does. In macOS versions prior to HighSierra the sample config was enough to install and run macOS but with HighSierra Apple introduced some more restrictive firmware checks so we need to make sure our SMBIOS information is always up to date which is pretty impossible to assure with pre made ROMS. The best think you can do is to add your own defaults.plist (defaults.plist) into /EFI/Oz and keep this thing always up to date. The attached one is ready to be used right away (made it yesterday). To apply the defaults boot into Bios Setup and perform a 4 Finger P-Ram rest (alt+cmd+p+r).

• But OZ uses it's own config file called Defaults.plist.

The best think you can do is to add your own defaults.plist (defaults.plist) into /EFI/Oz and keep this thing always up to date.

I'm very sorry - but where does this EFI drive live? Are you talking about the bootable USB installer? I use a bootable USB that i made with Unibeast tool that has an EFI folder - i can add this files here if that is right?

But OZ uses it's own config file called Defaults.plist. The best think you can do is to add your own defaults.plist To apply the defaults boot into Bios Setup and perform a 4 Finger P-Ram rest (alt+cmd+p+r).

Surely the "4 Finger P-Ram rest" is for a REAL Mac?? I'm using a hackintosh? so why would this work in my GigaByte bios??? I'm really confused.

Finally - I added the Unsolid.kext to the EFI on my bootable USB but it didnt affect the install process - I found that my drive was still formatted as APFS after it failed to install

• Hi,
    the EFI is a hidden partition on your hdd/ssd.
    Either use the small app ESP Mounter Pro 1.6 or find your way through our german FAQ -> https://www.hackintosh-forum.d….php/FAQ/180-EFI-mounten/

The "4-Finger-PRAM/NVRAM-Reset" also works on Ozmosis-based Hackintosh machines, but you have to use it in one of the following stages:
    - in your BIOS
    - While in the BIOS boot-selection
    - While in the Ozmosis boot selection.

The combination on a Hackintosh would be "Alt+WinLogo+P+R"...

Gruß
    Al6042

• Griven - I've been using your Ozmosis Bios mods for my Z97XUD5H since Yosemite, and have now been running Sierra successfully all year. Thank you!

I'd like to update to High Sierra - I've put UnSolid.kext on the EFI volume of my SSD. Is it OK to use the HighSierra.F10.rom that you posted, or do I need it without APFS build? Also, with your builds, I've never had to bother much with Defaults.plist or SMBIOS, but I read above that these need to be specific with High Sierra. What do I need to do?

Thanks for the help - I'm sorry for my lack of German!

Gigabyte Z97X-UD7-TH, Intel i7 4790K, Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 TP-Link PCI Express wifi adapter EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Corsair SPEC-02 Case