Ozmosis GA Z97MX Gaming 5 - High Sierra - no boot

• For now you have to choose between APFS support build in or Theme build in both of them won´t fit into most modern ROMS. In case of a missing Theme just add OzmosisHorizontalTheme.bin.zip to the OZ Folder on your EFI Partition and perform a NVRAM Reset and you're good to go...

Hello, A little back !! Regarding the theme, it must actually place it in OZ, but it must above all rename it to theme.bin!

Concerning the installation of High Sierra, I made several tests, with APFS:

With F12, I select my USB key, the installation goes well, the PC restarts, I complete the installation, but on the second reboot, my SSD, is no longer seen by the bios (except P0xxxx).

I have the impression that the partition EFI (Fat 32), is not mounted!
    At the start of the bios, I have this message:
    efi_container_create:858: LoaderImage->Dev iceHandle = 0xdd1d0918
    nx-dev_init:860 warning: superblock indicates jumpstart record but this driver was not loaded from that partition

In the meantime, I came back on sierra !! I'm afraid that the bios ozmosis I knew, died with the arrival of High Sierra :nowin:

• Not necessarily it died but things are more complicated with the introduction of APFS as they were on Sierra and before...

The message you get is the debug output of APFS and it indicates that the APFS Driver is not designed to run that way it is not meant to be part of the (U)EFI. If you browse through Apples Firmware files all you find is a so called JumpStart driver (around 13KB) but nothing like APFS.efi (compressed 280KB, deflated around 500KB). Since I am no coder my best guess on this is that Apple uses the Jumpstart Driver in their Firmware to just start the APFS.efi from the partition which should be used to boot up. Doing so is pretty smart since APFS is still in development and Apple can replace it with every Update to HighSierra without the need to reflash the Firmware again and again. Unfortunately this way does not work on our rigs since Apples Jumpstart Driver won't do anything at all when you insert it into the ROM instead of APFS so for now we have to use this "dirty" way to get things going.

Due to this limitations OZ sometimes will fail to pick up APFS volumes to add them as boot entries as well (they can easily be added per EFI Shell though). Talking about the installer NVRAM becomes more important then ever before. To be successful the NVRAM has to be writable and persistent since each installer step will add/modify a NVRAM entry before reboot. This entry is used after reboot to locate the installer Files and continue the installation. If the NVRAM ist not persistent across reboots this information get lost and the process of installation is stopped at this point (your PC/OZ simply do not know that a pending installation is sitting around and waiting to be completed)...

• Thanks for your reply, I will follow the forum carefully, hoping for a positive follow up;)

• ich häng mich mal hier ran.

hab den selben fehler (hab das bios hier aus dem downloads: Z77MD3H_HighSierra.15a)
    und wollte fragen was ich dagegen machen kann.

mein englisch ist nicht das beste.

mfg seebaer1976

• Muss es auch nicht sein :D

Der Fehler ist keiner es ist lediglich ein Teil des Debug Outputs von APFS.EFI in dem sich der Treiber darüber beschwert das er so eigentlich nicht gestartet werden möchte. Aktuell ist das aber kein Problem und man darf das erstmal gerne als "Unschön" hinnehmen muss sich aber keine Sorgen deshalb machen. Normalerweise würde der Treiber noch viel mehr mitteilen aber das habe ich unterdrückt damit nicht noch mehr Verunsicherung gestiftet wird als das jetzt schon der Fall ist. @seebaer1976 wenn es für Dich aktuell funktioniert ignoriere die Meldung einfach und gut.

• Hallo,

ich habe auch den Fehler. Die SSD mit der Macintosh HD wird im BIOS nicht angezeigt. Kann also nicht von der Platte booten. Was kann ich tun?
    Habe mir vor dem Upgrade die aktuelle Ozmosis Datei für das Z77-DS3H installiert

Grüße, bipbipbob

Gigabyte GA-Z77DS3H Rev. 1.1
    Intel i7 3770
    HD 4000 Grafik "build in"
    G.Skill 16 GB RAM
    2,5 Zoll HD, 320 GB

• Lies bitte hier: Kein Booteintrag mit Ozmosis OZ baut die Einträge für APFS Container leider nicht automatisch ein...

• Hallo Griven,
    Haben Sie die Datei defaults.plist (imac 14.2), mit der das HS-ROM erstellt wurde?
    Ich würde gerne vergleichen und testen.
    Vielen Dank im Voraus.
    PS: Ich wechselte zu High Sierra, aber in HFS + :whistling:

• Habe ich Dir zwar schon per PN geschickt aber der Vollständigkeit halber hier auch noch mal als Anhang :D
    defaults.plist

• Danke Griven ;)

• Gerne :D
    Ich hänge leider im Moment aus privaten Gründen hier im Forum etwas hinterher aber ich bemühe mich trotzdem das Ganze wenigstens nachzureichen.