Edit DSDT table, nvidia GPU (MXM) DELL XPS one A2010

• Hi everyone!

first of all, iam sorry not to write in German but its much easier to do this in english.

i spent lots of time by trying to solve an issue with a new GPU inside XPS A2010 (9600m GT 512DDR3) and i guess iam almost at the end The A2010 has an MXM II slot with an ATI HD2400 card inside and therefore its theoretical changeable but while plugging another GPU inside you got a black screen and so on... Anyway, i was chating with one guy who did some modding in the past and figure out that no MXM structure is inside the BIOS. Well, this means that the vBIOS of the ATI card was customized for the machine and no other vBIOS would work. He injected the MXM structure inside the BIOS and it was light . The screen went online with the BIOS with MXM structure but the fans (sys) are running full speed and if i install drivers for the card the screen goes black or distorted. Its not a driver issue, i tried at least 20x different drivers through 3x OS (XP, 7 and 10) but i noticed that the display is missing from the device manager after installing drivers or better, while the ATI card is plugged in, everything is working but when i plug the nVidia card the display is missing or wrongly detected with no EDID. Therefore the machine more likely refuse the new card due to missing mxm structure inside the DSDT table.

Well sounds easy, its not I tried to figure this out but i have no idea what to inject, what to change and so on inside the DSDT table. Hence, anyone has some experience with DSDT edit? - bellow link to the DSDT table.

Any suggestions, reference or help?

xpsone.3d-sphere.com/Files/M-020006, with MXM structure 26.zip (AMI CORE8)
    xpsone.3d-sphere.com/Files/dsdt-ATI-24.zip

Tomas

• Hi and welcome the forum... :)

Are we talking about getting an DSDT fixed to install macOS on that machine?
    I don't even know if the hackintosh related patches, even to enter an EDID, will be of any use with any Windows version.

Gruß
    Al6042

Keine Unterstützung per PN oder Pinnwand... Eure Anfragen gehören ins Forum, nicht in mein Postfach!

• Thank you al6042 :)

At this moment i have installed an MS OS (Win 10) on the machine but yes, i would like to try the macOS on it afterwards. I believe that if it would be solved under Win, it could also work for the macOS. I was searching across the internet for some clue but couldnt find any answer on my problem. I already got through the DSDT table several times and found two entries referring to a GPU, device VGA and device GFX0. Iam not sure which is the on board card (yes, it has also a onboard card) and which the ATI card (default one). Anyway, no entry about any MXM structure an i believe this is the main problem. While MXM has to be dynamically detected because its changeable, i dont need to add an entry for the specific card but the entry for the MXM.... well :) sounds easy. I found some ACER laptop with MXM (i guess) inside the DSDT... iam sure its not working like copy - paste but it could be used... or not.. No experience in this field :)

I think in Win you can force the load custom DSDT through registry... this could be a nice debug method but first i need to know and figure out what to change...

Tomas

• GFX0 is the Graphics part of the CPU, if there is one integrated.
    PEFP is the external Graphics part.

I never heard of MXM at all... :)
    A way to override the DSDT in Windows can be read in here --> https://www.techinferno.com/in…override-to-fix-error-12/

Gruß
    Al6042

Keine Unterstützung per PN oder Pinnwand... Eure Anfragen gehören ins Forum, nicht in mein Postfach!

• Hi,

thats very useful to know about the GFX0 and therefore i can ignore this entry. I made a screenshot of the XPS DSDT with the part defining the ATI (original card), i think anyway, and also a part from one ACER DSDT where i guess is the MXM entry, see attached. I still cant figure out what the code means, i cant find any good documentation to that, but i think that replacing the VGA device/entry while keeping the LCDD could be a good way to go. Well, anyone? :)

here some info about the MXM slot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

Thank you for the link,,, i think its a good way how to test the custom DSDT afterwards.

Tomas

• Check out the attached DSDT which got the separation of IGPU (GMA950) and GFX0 (Nvidia 9600M)...

Dateien

• DSDT.aml

(23,73 kB, 290 Mal heruntergeladen, zuletzt: )

Gruß
    Al6042

• Hi al6042,

just to be sure, you edited my DSDT table, right? :D because this looks like something which could actually work! Thank you a lot! I will try it tomorrow and report back (i have the machine at work :)). thank you again!

Tomas

• Jup... the file is the result of patching your dsdt-ATI-24.dsl...
    Good Luck! ;)

Gruß
    Al6042

• Hi al6042,

tried to override the DSDT but got an BSOD at the end :( i also loaded the same DSDT to check if its working but loading the customized one cause BSOD...hmmm.. i guess that injecting inside the ROM will not do any difference, maybe brick the machine again :D any idea?

• It might help to install Clover as the Bootloader in which you might be able to inject the patched DSDT without messing up windows itself...

Gruß
    Al6042

• hi,

i made a bootable USB with Clover (legacy boot mode) but i cant boot to windows with it. After booting with Clover i see two HDD with Windows but both of them are returning "disk read error" after trying clicking on them. Maybe iam missing something. I made the USB under OS x, format for MAC OSx and choose legacy boot mode (i guess, because the AMI Core 8 BIOS is very old)... :) hmmm,,, do i miss something?

• With some luck i installed the OSx there :) ,, enclosed the IORegistry report...http://xpsone.3d-sphere.com/Files/Tomalf iMac.zip

i have some issues right now with that, for example that without nv_disable=1 the screen is black, the network was working right now no, and so on :) but its there :)....

some questions at the beginning:

• if my network card is not listed in multibeast, should i install something which is near my HW? Intel(R) 82566DC-2
    • if the screen is black by default, and inside clover the nvidia injection is checked, should i uncheck this?

Tomas

• Hi,
    to answer all these questions, we should know all the components build into your laptop.
    If you have OSX running, even without accelerated graphics, please create a screenshot from the "PCI List"-window of the app DPCI Manager.
    This should contain any necessary details.

Also, please add the main components either in your signature or your profile, which you can find in the segment "About me".
    With that, all the other folks in here might be able to help in solving your issues.

Gruß
    Al6042

• Uh...
    this seems to be a old board... :)
    The last attempts to get the Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Controller running was on InsanelyMac in 2008 to 2010... those available Kext are used on Snow Leopard 10.6.x as the latest OSX version... you might be able to get it running with the following kext
    --> https://osdn.net/projects/sfne…ppleIntelE1000e.kext.zip/

Your Wifi Card (Ven-Dev 14e4-4328) should work out-of-the-box...

Which version of OSX did you install?
    Which tools did you use to install it?
    The 9600M GT might not be supported in some newer releases... but the "Inject Nvidia" is definitely needed with that card.

Gruß
    Al6042

• Hi,

yes, its an old machine, but i love it :) the network is now running, the LAN to be specific, i have no opportunity to try the wifi right now.

I have used UniBeast 7.1.1 to install Sierra 10.12.5 and MultiBeast - Sierra 9.1.0 to install the bootloader (Clover v2.4 rev 4063) and also the kext for the network (i realized that it was inside Multibeast after your post.

Iam aware about the injection, at least i read about that :), at this moment iam starting the OSx with nv_disable=1. Inside clover there is nvidia injection checked but the HEX are just 0, so i guess its not doing anything. Iam very new in this, but starting to like it a lot :)

• Hi Al6042,

was thinking a lot about the GPU problem and refusing the new MXM card and i got an idea :). The AIO i have (A2010) had a bigger brother, XPS One 24, which had a slightly different HW (newer a bit i guess) and was able to take the 9600m GT from stock. I was looking at the bios in the past but today i also looked on the DSDT in the 24 version. My knowledge about the description table is very limited but i have compared the A2010 (dsdt-ATI-24.zip) and 24 (dsdt-A2410.zip) DSDT between each other and they are pretty similar :). My personal guess is that if its really in the DSDT (i really hope so), the adaptation of the 24version DSDT or copying some parts could solve the issue... The problem is i have no idea what to leave or what to copy :S Do you have time to look on the DSDT tables if there is something which could help me?

xpsone.3d-sphere.com/Files/dsdt-A2410.zip
    xpsone.3d-sphere.com/Files/dsdt-ATI-24.zip

• Maybe later this week...

Gruß
    Al6042

• Thank you Al6042, appreciate it!

• Hi, made it :) it was a bit more difficult but at the end simple like hell. I add the mxm structure according to mxm specification and also pushed the EDID information into the DSDT, made it smaller, inject into BIOS, working :)

Thank you for your help, T