iMac 2020 vs 2021

• Hello, I would like to ask you experienced for advice. I plan to buy an iMac 21.5 "4K i5 3.0GHz 6-core 8GB 256GB Radeon Pro 560X 4GB SK model 2020. Does it make sense to wait for the new 2021 models with M1 processors? As a handicap for M1 processors I see the inability to install Windows I would miss it, but again the 2021 models will have a nicer design, narrower frames and I guess both the performance and the price.

What do you think ???

Hallo, ich möchte Sie erfahren um Rat fragen. Ich habe vor, einen iMac 21,5 "4K i5 3,0 GHz 6-Kern 8 GB 256 GB Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB SK Modell 2020 zu kaufen. Ist es sinnvoll, auf die neuen 2021 Modelle mit M1-Prozessoren zu warten? Als Handicap für M1-Prozessoren sehe ich die Unfähigkeit Um Windows zu installieren, würde ich es vermissen, aber auch hier werden die 2021-Modelle ein schöneres Design haben, schmalere Rahmen und ich denke sowohl die Leistung als auch den Preis.

Was denkst du ???

Entschuldigung mein Übersetzer Deutsch

• Hello Macko

Welcome in the hackintosh-forum!

You are trying to cross bridges before you come to them :D

All speculative: the next models seems to get new Apple Silicon ARMs, rumors said, they get 8 high-performance core instead 4 high-performance of the actual M1 processor.

Also, perhaps they are developed to the 2nd stage of M1 and the new MX-cores should be faster than the 1st development.

The actual M1 performed out actual i5 processors - so there can be expected a great improvement.

Another part is the graphics card, the RX 560 should be faster than the 8-core-graphics of the M1 (here should be CMMChris better for comment, he is "the expert" for this and lot of other dependencies), your mentioned specs expect me, that graphics is not your focus...

Normally I recommend: Buy today the machine, which you need TODAY, not more and not less.

If you want wait - you don't need the machine today ;) also wait, and Windows? Hm, my home is Windows free since one year and I don't miss it... :D

There seems in my eyes only one positive fact for intel-Mac: if you need a lot of RAM for Video or s.th. else...

Bye

Stefan

• I would wait for a M1 Version, maybe already with a M1x processor with more Power than the current M1. This is the future of Apple and me would no more buy an Apple Intel System.

And for Windows I would have a dedicated Windows device, as nobody knows what will happen with bootcamp and how they will realize Windows on the M1. Will the bootcamp allow you the Installation of the ARM Windows (which Microsoft sells not oficially?) Will it be an emulated X64 Windows?

To much open questions there.

• I can only agree with the others and recommend waiting for the iMac successor with Apple chip.

• The M1's GPU is pretty hard to compare. For example, I am coming from a Radeon VII and based on compute and 3D benchmark results you wouldn't expect the M1 GPU to rech or exceed the VII performance in any kind of workload - yet it does. For example in Final Cut. Rendering a typical 4k60 timeline with no 3D stuff in it is up to 3(!) times faster compared to the Hackintosh I used previously. I have also seen people reporting the M1 outperforming Intel MacBooks with Polaris and Navi GPUs in Blender. So clearly, benchmarks don't tell the whole story and there are tons of workloads where the Apple GPU is exceeding expectations. I can only imagine how things turn out with the next and more powerful Apple Silicon SoCs.

As for Windows on Apple Silicon I wouldn't worry about it. Windows 10 ARM is running great virtualized with the Parallels technical preview. And I am 100% sure we will se native Windows support within the next two years. Apple just recently did final preparations for enabling booting of custom unsigned kernels on Apple Silicon. Microsoft would be stupid not to use the Mac to get their ARM flavor of Windows going. So far the main reason it didn't take off was the lack of decent performing ARM PCs. Apple Silicon Macs are the perfect solution to make Windows 10 ARM more relevant.

LG Chris

Meine Hardware: